Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pleasant Surprises Chapter 28

We tried to make our way through the lobby but it was crowded with people so we weren't being very succesful. I was so busy trying not to bump into people that I didn't notice the person who grabbed my arm. I jumped and almost screamed as I spun around with AJ in my arms. I turned around and it was the last person that I expected to see but I was glad.

" Jesus Christ Anna. You scared me." I said as I tried to get my breathing back to normal


" Sorry. I didn't mean to." She said letting go of me and and giving me a small smile


I looked around and knew that this wasn't the appropriate place to have any kind of discussion that she may want to have so I offered to let her come to our room and she agreed. She followed me in silence until we got into the room. She gave me a few minutes to put AJ down before I turned around.


" Look I'm sorry about the way that I reacted. It just pissed me off so badly that you knew what I had. Than Patrick called and talked to me and it really helped to hear how he dealt with knowing that one of his teammates had been with you before him and it really put things into perspective."


I really wanted to know what had been said but I didn't want to admit to her that it was something that we had never talked about.


" I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I'm not sure that things can go back to the way they were I really miss you and I can't imagine not having you in my life or my child's life.

" Wait did you say what I think you said?" I asked as I looked at her

She smiled at me and nodded and I squeeled as I pulled her into a hug.

" Does Sharpie know yet?" I asked


" No. I just found out. He doesn't even know that I came to New York yet. It was kind of a last minute decision. I thought I would surprise him at the game."


" That's great. I am so happy for the two of you. You both are going to be great parents."


" Thanks. I know that I'm going to need alot of help."


" You know that I'm willing to help you with anything that you need." I grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze. We spent the next couple of hours getting caught up with what had been going on. The other women came in and there was more yelling and hugging as the news was shared with everyone. Karri looked particularly happy and I know that she had to be thrilled that she had both of her friends back. We all got ready and went to MSG for the game. The guys lost so I was anticipating a bad mood but as we headed down to the locker room I found that the general mood wasn't too bad. I watched as Anna found Sharpie and I saw the surprise and than the happiness on his face as she approached him and kissed him. When I saw the way that they looked at each other I knew that they were going to be alright. She pulled him down and whispered into his ear and I don't think that his smile could have gotten any bigger. He announced to the whole room what he had just been told and there were a lot of cheers and calls to go out and celebrate. We already had plans but I promised them we would come out with them when we got back to Chicago. Since Patrick already had a suit on all we had to do was go back to the hotel so I could get changed before we went out for dinner. His mom and sister were going to watch AJ for us since they didn't get to see that much of them anyways. After I was done getting ready Patrick had the front desk call a cab so we could head out for our late dinner. We went to a really fancy restaurant and as we waited for our food I really wanted to ask what he had said to Anna.

" So that's great news about Sharpie and Anna isn't it?"

" Yeah it is." he said as he grabbed his glass of wine and took a drink

" So I heard that you talked to Anna" I said trying to prompt him to tell me why

" Yeah I did. I thought that it would help her to hear how I felt about the whole situation when we got together."

I looked at him and had to wonder what he was talking about and why he had never said anything about it.

" I know that I never said anything but it was hard, especially the first month. I always worried that I wasn't living up to Sharpie and the fact that I had to see him everyday didn't help. But after awhile I realized that you could leave at anytime but you kept coming back and that had to count for something right? In the end you choose me and that was all that mattered and Sharpie was my friend and teammate and I couldn't just give that up over something that really had nothing to do with me in the first place."

" Why didn't you tell me any of this."

" I don't know. Mostly because I felt like an idiot for feeling that way in the first place and by the time I got over that it didn't matter anymore."

" And why didn't you mention that you told Anna all of this?"

" I didn't know if she would listen and I was afraid that you would be mad at me for butting my nose in."

I leaned over the table so I could kiss him.

" I'm not mad at you, in fact I am positive if it wasn't for you that I wouldn't have my friend back and I am more thankful for that than you could ever know."

" Maybe you can show me how grateful you are when we get back to the hotel?" he asked me with a gleam in his eyes

" Hmm, I don't know, I think we can arrange something." I said as I smiled back at him

We forgot all about eating and headed back to the hotel .

No comments:

Post a Comment