Monday, October 26, 2009

Distance Makes The Heart Grow Fonder Chapter 10

We got into the routine of talking almost everyday. It wasn't the same as actually being together but it made it bearable. It had been almost three weeks since we had seen each other and I was excited that I was finally going to have the time to see him and the rest of the guys. They had finished a two week road trip and the tean had done pretty well but Patrick hadn't scored that much and I could tell he was getting frusterated. They had Friday and Saturday off and were playing a early game on sunday. I took a vacation day on Friday from work so I could head down to Chicago early. I finally pulled up in front of his house and I pratically ran to the door. I knocked and only had to wait a few seconds before he opened the door. I didn't even give him time to greet me as I jumped on him and attacked him with my lips. We kissed until we needed to breath.

" Hey babe. It's nice to see you." He said with a grin as he sat me down


" I have a surprise. Don't be mad at me." he said as he grabbed my hand and led me to the kitchen.


" Why would I be mad at you?" I questioned as I followed him



I quicky figured out why he thought I would be mad. As we went into the kitchen I found four sets of eyes looking at me.



" Mom, Dad, girls, this is my girlfriend Melissa. Mel this is my family. They all said hi and I managed to squeek out a greeting. Patrick turned around and gave me a reassuring kiss on the cheek.



" I'm going to go get your suitcase out of the car. I'll be right back okay?" I knew I had to look terrified but he just patted my arm and left. I was left standing there by myself, feeling incredibly akward. Finally his mother spoke up.



" So Patrick tell's us that you are a nurse in Wisconsin."



" Um yeah a ortho scrub nurse at the University of Wisconsin Hospital."


" That sounds like a good job." She commented


" It is and I love it." I said figuring where she was going with this but waiting to see.


" You must make good money then."


" Donna!" Patricks father chided her


" No it's okay. I know the types of girls who try to get with these guys and as his mother she has every right to be suspicious. I do make good money and more importantly I have a pretty substantial savings. I don't love your son because he is a hockey player and has money. I love him because he is sweet and kind and is one of the most sincere people that I have ever met."


I knew that I was getting an attitude but I couldn't help it. It pissed me off that someone would even begin to compare me to someone like Tina. I was surprised by the reaction that I got. His mother jumped up and came over and gave me a big hug. At first I was so surprised that it took me a second to return it.


" I'm so glad he found someone like you. I thought he was going to never get rid of that horrible girl. My name is Donna by the way. That is Patrick Sr and that is Jessica and Erica."



She had let go of me and I greeted everyone but his sister's didn't do much more than stare at me. Patrick came back into the kitchen and put his arms around my waist. He put his chin on my shoulder and whispered in my ear.


" Everything alright?"


I nodded my head and turned enough so I could give him a kiss.


" Hey mom can you make your famous meatloaf and mashed potatoes for us."


" Sure sweetie. Whatever you want. I assume I'll have to go shopping?


" Yeah I don't think that I have any food in the house. Why don't you take Mel with you and I can spend a little time with Jess and Erica. I need to find out who I need to beat up."


I went and grabbed my coat and Patrick's keys since he had picked them up at the airport. His mother drove since it wasn't the first time that she had cooked for her son even though he hadn't lived at home in years. I didn't know what to talk about so I talked about the only thing that I knew we had in common.


" How did you handle sending Pat off at such a young age to play hockey?"

She looked at me in surprise.


" It wasn't easy, especially when he wanted to come back home. I can't begin to tell you how badly I wanted to go and get him but we saw how talented he was and we couldn't let him throw that away."


I nodded my head and knew that their decision had obvioulsy been for the best

" Do you want a family?" she asked catching me off guard.

" Yeah someday. I always figured that I would have had a couple by now but I had some bad dating experiences and never really found a guy that I loved enough to take that step with."


" Good" Was her only reply.


We got to the grocery store and had a pleasant time talking. She asked me all of the usual questions about my family and how we meant. We finally found everything that she would need and we headed back to the house. I helped her carry the everything inside and we found everybody in the living room watching Detroit play Anaheim.


" Donna do you need help with anything?" I asked as I set the bags of groceries on the counter.


" No sweetie. I can manage. I know that you guys don't get to see much of each other so go enjoy yourself. I'll let you know when everything is done."


" Okay. Thank you for everything."


" Thank you for making my son so happy."


She gave me a quick hug and pushed me towards the living room. I gladly went and sat next to patrick on the couch. He pulled me against his side and I cuddled against him. I couldn't stand Detroit and cheered when I saw that the Ducks were kicking their asses. Johan took a stupid penalty and I could help but comment.


" Serves him right. The mule, more like the ass if you ask me.


" Take it you aren't a big fan?" His dad asked looking at me

" He's a bully that deserves to get his ass kicked." I said trying not to sound pissed off.

" your right Pat. I do like this girl." His father said and I knew where Patrick got his cocky smirk from.

We sat and made the occasional comment about diffrent plays and penalties as they happened. I tried to concentrate on the game but I kept getting distracted. Patrick had wrapped his arm around my waist and and had his hand resting underneath my shirt. If that wasn't bad enough his thumb was making small circles on the skin right above the top of my jeans. I knew he didn't mean anything by it, especially not with his family in the room but I couldn't help but squirm a little. I noticed his sister Erica staring at me. I gave her a small smile and tried to discreetly move his hand. I was saved by his mother coming in and telling us that dinner was done. It was a nice meal and I enjoyed his family. Even his sisters seemed to be warming up to me. Thank God. After dinner I helped with dishes and Patrick came up behind me and kissed my neck.

" I have practice tomorrow. Is it okay if you hang out with my family for a little while?

" Yeah that would be fine. When do you plan on getting home?

" Probably around lunch time. Why?"

" No reason. I was just wondering."

" Are you gonna miss me?" he asked in a teasing voice

" I'll be glad to get rid of you for a few hours." I told him

We were interupted by his father.

" Everyone is heading to bed. Just wanted to tell you guys goodnight.

" Night" we both said at the same time

" See that wasn't so bad now was it." he said looking at me

" No it wasn't but I wish I would have had more warning."

" Sorry about that. It was kind of last minute and I knew that if I told you they were coming that you would just obsess about it.

Damn how did he know me so well already? It was kind of scary but he was exactly right.

" Yeah your right. That is exactly what I would have done. Let's go to bed. I'm pretty exhausted."

He threaded his fingers through mine and led me upstairs. I went to the master bathroom to change and he followed behind me.

" What are you doing?" I asked raising my eyebrow at him

" I thought that I would take advantage of the fact that my beautiful sexy girlfriend is going to be mostly naked. Less work for me." He moved towards me and as much as it pained me I stopped him.

" Hey stud, I am not having sex with you while your family is in the house. That would be extremly rude and kind of gross.

" Come on I haven't seen you in forever. It's not that big of a deal."

He came at me again and this time I let him close the distance. He wrapped his arms around me and gave me his best lost puppy look. I tried to resist but it wasn't working very well and I knew he could tell.

" You can be quiet can't you?" he whispered in my ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment