Saturday, December 12, 2009

Blue Or Pink Chapter 17

" Are you sure that you don't want me to fly home with you? I'm sure that I could get a ticket."


" Don't worry about me. You hardly ever get to see your sisters. Just enjoy your family for the next couple of days. I have to go back to work tomorrow anyways."


" Okay. Call me when you get in town." He looked at me with worry on his face. I knew that he knew something was up but he didn't ask me about it. Even if he had I wouldn't have told him. I didn't want to freak him out, especially since I wasn't sure there was anything to be freaking out about. I wanted to reassure him so I pulled him closer to me and tipped my face up to his so I could kiss him. I could feel that familiar low tug in my stomach and I had to pull away before it got to heated in public.




" I'll see you in a couple of days. Love you." I said softly.


" Love you to babe."


I went to get into line for security and when I turned around I saw that a group of people had approached Patrick. He was signing autographs and taking pictures with some fans. At the back of the group was a man with a boy that appeared about seven. They waited patiently as everyone crowded around Pat. Finally they got to the front of the group and I melted into a puddle of goo as I watched him kneel in front of the boy and talk to him. He signed a piece of paper and ruffled his hair as he got back up. I knew in that moment that one thing I didn't have to worry about was him being a good father. I heard a voice behind me telling me that I had to move and I shook myself out of my thoughts and concentrated on what was going on in front of me. The plane ride seemed to take forever and I practically ran off the plane when it landed. I looked around and was relieved to see Karri already waiting for me.


" Did you pick up the tests?" I asked trying to keep the anxiety attack I was about to have at bay.


" Well hello to you too."


" Sorry. It's just that I am on the verge of having a complete meltdown and I need to know one way or the other so I can figure out what to do."


She looked at me with what I took as sympathy as she led the way to the baggage claim. I grabbed my small suitcase. We walked out to her car and got in to go to my house. I was so nervous that I was getting physically nauseous so I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself.


" It'll be okay. You know that right?" Karri asked as she turned her head to look at me


" What if it's not okay. He's so young and we haven't even been together a year. I don't want him to think that I got pregnant to try to trap him or something."


At this point I sounded like a hysterical crazy person but I couldn't help it. I started to chew on my fingernails, something that I hadn't done in years. We finally pulled into the driveway of the house and I grabbed the plastic bag that Karri had placed in the backseat. I went inside and locked myself in the bathroom. I took all three test to make sure that I didn't get a false positive. I couldn't sit in the bathroom and wait for the ten minutes so I went and joined Karri on the couch in the living room. I jumped and almost fell off the couch when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I grabbed for it and saw that the caller id had Patrick's name on it. Shit, I had forgotten to call him.


" Hello"


" Hey is everything okay. You didn't call." he said sounding a little pissed


" Yeah sorry. I got talking with Karri and I just forgot."


" It's okay. I just wanted to make sure that you got home."



" Yep. Got here just fine and dandy."


He started to tell me about having to meet Jackie's first boyfriend and I basically tuned him out and started to get anxious as the ten minutes I needed to wait ticked down. Karri tapped on her wrist to let me know that it was time.



" Babe, I really need to get going. Karri wants to go to dinner." I interuppted him abruptly in the middle of his story. I knew that I was being rude, but I needed to get off the phone


" Oh" was all he said. I hated how hurt he sounded


" I'll call you later. Love you."



" Yeah" he replied shortly. I was left with the dial tone in my ear as he abruptly hung up on me. I shook my head and tried not to cry. Karri asked me if I was ready and even though I nodded my head I couldn't will my legs to move. It was as if my feet were encased in cement.


" Do you want me to go look?" Karri asked when she saw that I wasn't moving.



" Yeah, please" Oh god I was about to vomit. Or maybe pass out from lack of breathing



I watched as she got up and disappeared into the bathroom. I felt like puking as I waited and a few minutes later she came out holding one of the sticks, a frown on her face.



" Is it suppose to look like this?" She asked as she handed me the stick. I groaned as I saw what she was talking about. There was the first line like there should have been and there was a second line that would usually indicate pregnancy but in this case it was very faint.



" Are the other two like this?" hoping that wasn't the case



" Yeah. One is even fainter."


" Dammit. I'm going to have to make a doctor's appointment." I muttered getting frustrated. This didn't help at all. Karri had to leave but made me promise to call if I needed anything. I thought about not calling Patrick and just going to bed but I didn't want to piss him off anymore than he already seemed to be. Our conversation was short and tense and I quickly ended it by mentioning that I had to be up early for work. The next day I made a appointment at the clinic that was attached to the hospital and was relieved to find out that they had an opening after work on friday. On Wensday it was finally time for Patrick to come home. I was feeling a mixture of dread and excitment as it came closer to the time that I was suppose to pick him up. I made my way to O'hara and waited anxiously in a small crowd of people. Finally I saw him and I stood back and waited while he was mobbed with people looking for autographs and pictures. He obliged the crowd but I could tell that he was looking for me. His eyes finally met mine and I smiled at him but he didn't return it, at least not as much as I would have liked. He finally had to excuse himself and he made his way over to me. He greeted me with a hello and a chaste kiss and I didn't push it. He got his luggage and took over driving without asking. I just looked out the window as the silence weighed on us. I glanced over at one point and I could see him clenching his jaw, which was a sure sign that trying to explain to him what was going on wouldn't be a good idea. When we got home I went to start the laundry and as I was sorting through all of the clothes I heard the door open behind me.


" We need to talk." I heard him say behind me. I tried to quickly think of something to say to get out of this but when I turned around I saw the look on his face and knew that there was nothing I could say that would change his mind.



" What do you want to talk about?" I said trying to act like I had no idea what he was talking about



" What the hell is going on with you? Everything was fine until the night of the party and then you got all weird. You've been pushing me away and I can't figure out what I did to make you angry.



He looked so upset and I felt horrible when I realized what I had been putting him through in the last couple of days. I pulled on his shirt so he was close to me. I threw my arms around his waist and buried my face in his shirt so I could inhale his familiar scent. His arms found there way around me and I felt his chin rest on the top of my head.



" You didn't do anything wrong. Promise. It's just that I've been really stressed the last couple of days."



" Stop pushing me away and talk to me. Maybe I can help?" he said rubbing my back trying to be soothing.



I pulled away and looked at him. I still wasn't sure what his reaction would be but I knew that he deserved to know why I was acting so crazy.



" I might be pregnant."



His eyes got huge as he processed the information that I just let him know. He didn't say anything for a few minutes and I pulled away and braced myself for the worst. I was surprised when he pulled me against him and kissed me."



" You should have told me instead of keeping something like that to yourself. " he chastised gently



" I didn't want to tell you until I knew for sure and I took three test but I have to go to the doctor's because I'm still not sure. Plus I was afraid that you were going to me mad at me."


" Why?"


" Because we haven't been together a year and your only twenty one. What are people going to say?"


" It doesn't matter what other people think and I'm not mad. Surprised but not mad."



I felt a huge weight lift from my chest as he smiled at me. He had every right to be upset and yet here he was handling the whole situation better than I had been. I was so lucky to have this fantastic man love me. I couldn't even put into words what I was feeling so I decided to show him. I grabbed his face and kissed him and he responded in kind. It had been almost five days since we were able to have sex and I could tell how much he wanted me. His hands roamed up under my shirt and started to gently knead my breasts.



" Do you want to go upstairs?" he asked as he nibbled on the sensitive spot on my neck



My brain was mush and it was all I could do to nod my head. He picked me up and carried me upstairs. He set me down long enough so we could strip each other of our clothes. After almost two hours we laid in bed in a sweaty tangle, both of us content. We talked about my appointment and even though he wanted to be there he agreed that it would draw to much attention. He kept running his hand over my stomach. I made him promise not to tell anyone until we knew that there was something to tell everyone.



" If you are pregnant I hope it's a boy."



I could picture a small boy with blond curls just like Patrick. The image made me smile.



" And what if it would be a girl?" I asked in a teasing voice



" That would be fine. At least I would have nineteen guys to help me make sure that any guys that came around behave themselves."



I rolled my eyes but I could see him rallying the guys to scare the crap out of some poor unsuspecting teenage boy.



" Don't get too excited. There is a chance that there is something else going on."




Friday came and I went to my doctor's appointment. I made a promise to call him right away, no matter what the news was. I sat in the exam room as the nurse took my blood. Again like so many things that had happened over the week, getting the results seemed to take forever, even though it was only twenty five minutes later when I heard a knock at the door. The doctor came in with my chart in hand and I held my breath as he rifled through the paperwork




" Well I'm not sure if this is good news or not but it appears that you are pregnant. I would like you to schedule a full physical so we can make sure that everything is going well and to see how far along you are. He patted me on the shoulder as I agreed to make up a follow up appointment and he left the room as I hopped of the table. Even though I was happy and now knew that Patrick would be okay with it too I started to cry when I dialed his number.




" So do you think that guest room next to ours will make a good nusery."



I grinned as I heard him yelling at whoever was in the gym with him.



" Meet me at home so we can celebrate?"



" Yeah. I'm heading that way right now."



" See you in a few than. Love you."



" Love you to Patrick."



I drove home and my mind started to wander to all of the plans we were going to have to make. It was already the end of july and that only left a full month and maybe a week or two before training camp and the season started. I knew that the first thing that he would want to do was let everyone know what a stud of a man he was. When I pulled up Patrick's car was already in the driveway. His crazy ass must have drove way to fast to get home before me. I went inside and was immediatly swept up in a pair of strong arms. He spun me around and kissed me



" Can I start calling people and letting them know?



" Yeah. Do I need to tell you who I want to call?"



" Nope."



He went to the living room and I grabbed my phone out of my purse. It wasn't exactly a private conversation but it was important. The phone rang for a minute before he finally anwsered it.



" Hey Bur. I got something big to tell you"



" Let me guess. You and the kid are going to be parents."



" Wow you just took all of the excitment right out of that. Did Karri tell you?"



He let out a short laugh and told me that he knew something was up and he basically picked at her until she told him. I knew how persistant he could be so I couldn't even be mad at her.



" I just want to thank you for everything. None of this would be happening if it wasn't for you."



" Remember that when you are getting up in the middle of the night feeding the little monster."



" Yeah yeah. Don't worry your going to be my baby-sitter. I figure it will be good practice for when you have your own."



" I don't see that being for awhile. Karri wants to finish her degree and I like having my girlfriend to myself right now. We are planning on getting married as soon as she graduates."



" Can you believe it? If you had told me that I would be in a serious relationship and pregnant eight months ago I would have laughed."



" Trust me I know. I was beginning to think that you were the only women who I would ever meet that had the personality to put up with me and I always saw you as more of a sister."



" Sure, blame being a man slut in the past on me." I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn't see


His only response was to laugh because he knew it was true.


" I should get going. I have to call my mom still. She'll be pissed if she finds out that she wasn't the first person that I called."


" Yeah you better go. I don't want you to get in trouble. I'll see you later.

I went to dial my mom's number but was overtaken by the strong urge to puke. I ran to the bathroom and barely made it to the toliet before I emptied what little bit I had in my stomach. I wiped my mouth and had a sneaking suspicion that this child was going to be just like it's father, loveable but the occasional pain in the butt.













No comments:

Post a Comment