Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mess with my mind chapter 7

I ran my fingers through my hair and knew that it didn't matter how I felt that the reality was that Kaner had a girlfriend and I wasn't about to become the other women. Soon everyone else that had stayed over started to filter out of the living room and other guest rooms and I got Sharpie to take me back to his place. I quickly changed and showered and gave Sharpie the excuse of incoming bad weather as an excuse to head home early. The card ride consisted of me thinking obssesivly about the situation that I had found myself in. I really didn't want to hurt Sharpies feelings but I saw no way to go about letting him know what was going on without doing exactly that. Maybe boring was better. Lord knows thats it's a lot less complicated. When I got home I made myself a quick sandwhich and fell into bed. I slept like crap I was tossing and turnung so bad and when I got up for work I was crabbier than hell. The day was crawling along at an unbelieveably slow pace and I cursed at the clock for not moving faster. When I got home I was in no mood to cook so I ordered a pizza and threw on my favorite pair of sweats and an old badgers t-shirt and vegged out on the couch. The hawks were playing the Ducks so I decided to
watch the game. I winced as the boys took a pounding by the much larger players on the ducks and I alsmost choked on my pizza as Kaner was pounded into the boards by Chris Pronger.

" Shit, come on get up." I whispered to myself frantically.
He did get up but it was slowly and you could tell he was in pain as he skated to the bench. The cameras were on the hawks bench as the announcers talked about Prongers hit on Kaner and after talking to what I assume was a trainer he went to the locker room. I was freaking out and I grabbed my phone and left him a quick voicemail.

" Hey I was watching the game and saw you go to the locker room. Please call me whenever you get this and let me know your okay. Doesn't matter what time it is. Bye"

I hung up my phone and watched the rest of the game. Kaner didn't come back so I knew that what ever was wrong couldn't be good. At the very least it looked like he would have some seriously bruised if not outright broken ribs. The game ended and the ducks ended up winning by a score of 4-1. The guys had let their frustration get the better of them and it didn't help to see one of their teammates knocked out of the game. I was nodding off on the couch when my phone finally rang.

" Hey Mel. Sorry to wake you. "

" No it's okay. What did the trainers tell you?" I asked instantly awake

" They did some xrays and they see a couple hairline fractures but they think it's mostly deep bruising."

" Did they wrap you and give you something for the pain?" I asked instantly going into nurse mode

" Yeah, and just so you know I think it's cute that you are worried about me."

" I would be worried if any of the guys got hurt." I protested, trying to play it off like it had nothing to do with him specifically

" Really? Then why didn't you call Sharpie. He did get a pretty nasty gash from Perry's high stick in the middle of the third period. It took ten stitches to close."

Shit how did I not see that? I guess I was to worried about someone else to pay much attention to anything else but I wasn't about to admit that to Kaner.

" That was just a facial lac and even though they bleed alot they aren't usually that bad. What happened to you was way more serious. If you break a rib in the right area you could puncture a lung, collapse the same lung and potentially die."

" Wow that is an really interesting way to see that situation"
" Sorry it's hard to turn off the nurse in my brain. I've seen some pretty horrible things and it's hard to see any of my guys get hurt."
" when are you coming down again?" he asked, changing the subject
" Don't know. I haven't really thought about it."
" Oh. Well since you know that I'm not going to die I should get going. I'm almost home."
" Yeah wouldn't want Tina to worry." I said trying to keep the bitterness out of my voice
" Look I know...."
" Don't Kaner. It's not my buisness and I'm sorry for being a bitch. I work tomorrow and I really should get back to sleep. Take care of yourself okay.'
I didn't give him a chance to respond before I hung up. I tried to fall back to sleep but it was pretty useless. I tossed and turned as I thought about the situation that I had found myself in.

The next day I went into work and I felt like a zombie. I could barely keep my eyes open and by lunchtime it was decided that I must be coming down with something so I was sent home and I wasn't about to argue. I went home and immediately fell into bed and fell into a deep sleep. I was woke up by a phone call a few hours later. I smiled when I saw that it was Sharpie.

" Hi. What's up?"

" Not much. I have something to tell you and I really hope you aren't upset with me."

I sat up in bed, now fully awake.

" What's wrong?" I asked not able to keep the worry out of my voice

" I got a call yesterday from my ex-girlfriend anna, and after we talked I realized that we still had a connection and that I wanted to try to make things work with us."

" Sharpie that's great. I meant it when I said I wasn't looking for anything serious and you deserve to be with someone who loves you."

" So we can still be friends right? I don't want things to weird between us."

" Absoluetly. I care about you as and would hate it if things were weird."

" Great. I was hoping that is what you would say." he said with obvious relief in his voice

" And just so you know I told Anna that I had a thing with a girl, but I didn't tell her it was you. I figured you guys are going to meet eventually and I thought it would be weird for the both of you."

" Yeah that was probably a good idea and trust me, I don't have any plans on spilling the beans."

' Cool. I should get going. Kaner is probably going to be calling you soon with some news of his own, just to give you a heads up. See ya later."

He hung up the phone before I had a chance to ask him what he meant by that.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your story today, i really love your writing style...wish there was more, keep up the good work, can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have Kaner and Sharpie spoken? Intrigued...

    ReplyDelete