Monday, September 14, 2009

My boring life Chapter 4

We sat in silence for almost the whole movie before he finally asked me about what had happened. I explained what she said and how I reacted to it, feeling even more stupid than I had earlier.

' You really told her you were going to bust her face in"

' Yeah unfortunatly"

" Just another reason for the guys to call you cujo?" he told me with a grin.

" Why cujo"

' All the guys saw what you did to Sharpie and then you get in Tina's face and practically rip her up so the guys have decided to call you cujo."

" Great. I'm never going to live this down am I.

" Probably not"

We hung out for a little while longer before I had to pack up and leave. Adam helped me put my stuff in my car and gave me a kiss on the cheek before I headed out. The drive home took me longer then normal because of the road conditions so I had a lot of time to think. Even with all of the drama that had happened over the weekend, I had to admit to myself that it was the most fun I had had in a long time. I made a promise to myself that I would try to get down to Chicago again as soon as I could.

The next morning I had to get up early so I could be to work by seven. I pulled into my usual spot and went inside. I went about my normal routine of putting my stuff in my locker and preparing myself my cup of coffee. I saw my favorite person walk into the lounge and I knew that I was going to be peppered with questions. Olivia was an ob nurse that was married with three kids and I she had quickly became my best friend/mother figure not long after I had started at the U.W.

" So girl how was your wild weekend.? I need details."

I told her about everything that had happened with both Patricks and all of the drama.

" So you had sex with one hot hockey player and had another almost kiss you? That's better then a soap opera!"

" Yeah it sounds exciting but I would rather not deal with it."

" come on girl. Your telling me that you aren't flattered that two professional athletes are into you. Do you think that maybe they will fight over you?"

I had to laugh at the excitment in her voice

" There isn't going to be any fighting. Sharpie and I aren't dating and there are a list of reasons why I am not interested in Patrick Kane.

" And what are those?"

" Let's see. He is way to young. He just turned twenty-one and he doesn't look a day over seventeen. He's totally not my type at all. The whole blond curly haired thing doesn't do anything for me and most importantly he has a skinny psycho girlfriend."

" It sounds like you have really thought about it." She said with a slight smile on her face and a look in her eyes that I didn't really like.

" It's almost seven-thirty. I need to go punch in. I'll talk to you later?"

" Sure. I'll see if we can get lunch together."

" Alright"

I went and punched in and went to get ready for the first surgery of the day. I worked with an orthopedic Surgeon named Dr. Caston and I went to find him so we could get gowned and scrubbed. We were doing a full knee replacement on an elderly gentleman. I had to be fully into what I was doing and I was glad that my mind couldn't wander. We finished up and since it was a long surgery I decided to take my lunch earlier than normal so I could eat before the next one. I paged Olivia and since there were no women in the birthing sweets she agreed to meet me in the cafeteria. We met and got our food and sat and talked about how are days were going so far. I was happy when she didn't bring up the subject of the guys again. I was surprised when I saw my phone vibrate on the table.

" Is it one of your lover boys?"

I tried to glare at her as I shook my head no.

" Hey Bur. What's up?"

" I was wondering what you were doing in a couple of weeks on saturday?"

" I don't know yet but probably nothing."

" Great you should come to Chicago for the weekend again. Kaner is having a party after the game on saturday and the guys really want to hang with you again."

" I don't know Bur. I don't think that is a good idea."

" Come on. I know you had a good time despite what happened and Kaner said he wanted you to come and that Tina would behave."

" Really? He wants me to come? Why?"

" I don't know. I didn't think to ask. All I know is that I'll take any excuse that I can to get you down here again. Plus I know that Sharpie is looking forward to seeing you again."

I couldn't deny that my body went tingly thinking about another roll in the hay with the gorgeous Patrick Sharp.

" Okay fine. I'll be there." I pretended to huff, not wanting Adam to know how excited I was.

" Whatever Mel, I know you are excited."

" Okay I am. I'll call you later and we can make more concrete plans alright."

" Alright talk to you later."

I hung up my phone and looked at Olivia who was looking at me with her eyebrows raised.

" You can stop looking at me like that. It isn't nearly as exciting as you are making it out to be."

"Sure it isn't. That's why you have a huge grin on your face."

" Okay fine. I'll admit it, it is pretty exciting. These guys live this amazing life and I'm lucky enough that they are letting my boring ass in.

" Sweetie the only reason you think your life is boring is because you don't take any risk. Ever since that stupid Dr took advantage of you you've been afraid to let anyone else in."

I knew that she was right but I hated to admit it, especially when it came to my previous relationship. I was lucky enough to land my job at the Uw right out of college since I had made some contacts there during my clinicals. I had met Dr. Shane Malone, a cardiologist three days after I started. He was everything you would expect, handsome, smart, confidant, and as I later found out a huge player. I didn't question it when he told me we had to keep our relationship low key. I just figured that there was some kind of rule against it. It wasn't till almost two months later that I got approached by one of the senior nurses and was informed that he was sleeping with at least two other nurses and that as soon as the new ones came in that I would be replaced. Needless to say the relationship didn't last two more hours before I broke it off. Between that and a relationship in college that also went horribly wrong, I was not to fond of the idea of dating. I knew it wasn't healthy but I had developed a saftey mechanism where I saw guys only as friends or sex objects.

" Your right Olivia. It is my own fault. It's easier to deal with men knowing that I can't get hurt."

" I know sweetie but believe me the right guy is worth it. Look at Henry. We've been married almost fifteen years and even though he drives me crazy I still love him as much as I did the first time we met."

" You fell for him right away?" I asked not even trying to keep the surprise out of my voice.

" Yep. I was at this little diner that use to be the hangout for all of the high school kids and someone bumped into me and made me spill my soda all over my blouse. I was so angry that I turned around to yell and I saw the most gorgeous man smiling at me. My first thought was that this was the man who I had to marry, if for no other reason that I needed to see that smile every morning when I woke up. We ended up talking the rest of the night and the rest is history."

I had to smile at the dreamy far away look she had on her face as she remembered how her and her husband had met.

" And you tell me my life is going like a soap opera." I teased to bring her out of daydream

" Yeah well I'm old and I have an excuse to lead a boring life, you on the other hand have no excuse. So do me a favor and have fun. I still want all the details"

" Sure Olivia I think that I can manage that for you"

" Great. And just promise me that you'll keep yourself open to anything that may happen?"

I nodded my head and she smiled and patted my hand before getting up to go back to work. I sat there for a few minutes and thought about what she said. I didn't believe in love at first sight, hell I didn't know if I believed in love at all. But anything could happen so I won't be resistant if it does.

1 comment:

  1. another roll in the hay with the gorgeous Patrick Sharp.- Tonight I shall have dreams of him and me rolling around in the hay together. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete