Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's Getting Better All The Time chapter Chapter 23

The first month was the hardest not only with the baby, who we had taken to calling AJ, short for Adam junior, but with our relationship. I was true to my word and I didn't go back to Chicago to stay, even though we went down when the guys were in town to visit. I was still having trust issues but true to his word he was doing everything he could to make it easier for me. I had hope that sometime in the future that we would be able to go back to the way things had been before his indiscretion.




" Hey we're here." I yelled as I opened the door and tried to juggle the baby bag and the baby in my arms. He came down the stairs and gave me a kiss on the cheek before taking the baby from my arms.




" Hey buddy." he cooed as he bounced him up and down




" How's everything been going?" he asked as I set the baby bag down by the couch




" Pretty good. He is starting to sleep better. " I replied as I plopped on the couch




" Adam offered to watch him for a little while so we can go out for dinner."



" I'm still not convinced that he knows what to do with a baby."




" Well he has the mentality of a little kid and if it makes you feel better I did make sure that Karri is going to be there."




I watched as they sat on the couch and he turned on a game. He sat Aj up in his arms so he could see the tv and I had to admit that it was cute how he explained what was going on like he would understand.



" I have to run out to the car and grab my stuff so I can get ready."



He nodded his head in my direction and I went to get ready. I took a shower and put on my make up before I slid into the dress that I had bought especially for tonight. I felt nervous, this was the first time that we were going to interact without the baby being there and I was really hoping that it would go well. I came down the stairs to find them both in the same spot that I had left them. I coughed and he turned his head at the sound.



" What do you think?" I asked as I turned around so he could see the back


" What do you think? Does mommy look pretty?"


Aj waved his hands around and made some noise so I took that as a yes. He set Aj in his bouncy chair and went to get ready while we waited. Before he was ready Adam came to pick Aj up.


" Hey, how is my favorite monster?"


" He is fine. Now everything that you will need is in the bag. If you have any problems I'll have my phone on vibrate."



" Stop spazzing out. We'll be fine, won't we little guy. Go have fun. You deserve it."



" Drive careful and I'll see you later."



I gave AJ a kiss and watched as they left. I knew that Adam would take good care of him but I couldn't help but be a little anxious. He hadn't really been out of my of my sight since he was born. I heard a noise behind me and turned around to see Patrick walking down the stairs. He looked good in his suit but his tie was a little crooked.



" Come here. "



He walked to where I was standing and I fixed his tie for him. I smoothed it down with my hand.


" That's better."



He held out his arm for me and we left for dinner. The food was great and we had a nice time talking. I got a text as we were driving back to the house. They wanted to keep the baby overnight. I wasn't sure that was a good idea so I called to make sure.



" Are you sure that you want to keep him. He is still waking up at night and I was planning on driving home."



" Yeah I'm sure. He's clean and already sleeping in the portable crib that we bought. We don't play tommorow and it will be good practice for us."



" Hopefully any kids that you have will be like Karri. I don't think that the world can handle more than one of you."



" You're probably right. I have to go. My women is waiting for me. Call me in the morning and we can figure out when you want him back."


" Okay."


I hung up my phone and tried to sound nonchalant



" Adam and Karri wanted to keep Aj overnight. Is it okay if I stay in one of the spare bedrooms tonight?"



" Yep, that's fine."



We got back to the house and I went upstairs to change right away. I didn't mind having to be a girl for a little while but I was always going to be more comfortable in a pair of jeans and sneakers. I tried to reach the zipper on the back of my dress and could reach it just fine but it ended up getting stuck. No matter what I did it wouldn't come down and I couldn't really reach it enough to pull very hard on it.




" Patrick can you come here please?" I yelled down the stairs




" What's up?" he asked as he poked his head in the door



" My zipper is stuck. Can you help me?




I turned around and moved my hair off of my neck as he came into the room. I could feel his fingers through the fabric of my dress and I swore that I could hear his breath quicken as he got it unstuck.





" There it's down." he said in a thick voice



I turned around holding the dress up in the front. I looked up into his eyes and he stared a few seconds before he turned away. I wanted to say something to make him stay but I couldn't find the words before he left. I turned around and started to get ready for bed. I'm not sure how long I laid in bed awake before I got up and tiptoed out to the hallway. I was going to go to the bathroom but I couldn't help but stop at the door to what had once been our bedroom. It was cracked open and I could see the outline of his body under the sheets. I contemplated going in but I didn't want to wake him up. I was going to go back to the spare bedroom and I let out a little scream as his voice came through the door.





" Jesus Christ you scared me." I yelped. My heart was racing and I tried to control my breathing





" Didn't mean to. You can come here if you want."





I pushed open the door and he moved over so I could crawl into bed beside him. He wrapped his arms around me. He immediatly fell back to sleep as I tried to get comfortable. Things weren't perfect but at least they were getting better and that was all I could hope for.

1 comment: