Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Here comes the.... Chapter 20

The next day Anna and Karri came over to drag me out of the house to shop for baby furniture. I had to admit that it was fun driving around and by the end of the day we had picked out all of the stuff that we were going to need. They had at some point that I needed company at home to so they came over to watch the game against Colorado. The team won but Patrick played like crap. I was hoping for a phone call but wasn't horribly surprised when I didn't get one. The rest of the trip seemed to go well but there was something off. He didn't mention anything when we talked and I figured that there had to be something going on internally with the team so I didn't push it. If and when he wanted to talk about it he would. The rest of the time went quickly since I was still working, which I was thankful for. When the boys finally came home I was so excited that I practically knocked him over when he came through the door. The first thing that I noticed was how tired he looked and sounded. I was immediatly concerned. He conceded that he hadn't been sleeping well and that he thought he might be coming down with something. I went into mom mode and told him that all I needed him to do was drop off his bags in the laundry room and I would make sure to take care of the rest. He did as I asked before he shuffled off to bed. Being the nice girlfriend that I was I made sure that he had chicken soup and crackers to eat. I was going to do the laundry but by the time I made myself something to eat and cleaned up a little I didn't have the energy. It didn't really matter anyways. They had a day off before they went on a four game homestand so it was something that had to be done right this second. It was early but all I wanted to do was spend some time with Patrick since it seemed like forever. I noticed right away that he was wearing a pair of those meshy basketball shorts and a tshirt to bed. He had never worn more than a pair of boxers to bed the whole time we had been together. I raised my eyebrows at him and all he did was shrug his shoulders.





" I'm a little cold." was his explanation, which I guess made sense if he was sick. Everyone was acting so out of character and weird that I was beginning to wonder if I had some how missed the fact that it was a full moon or something. We talked about the baby's room and I tried to describe what it looked like but he seemed preoccupied so I gave up. The next day he told me that he had to get some errands done and that he would be back in a little while. I figured that it was as good as time as any to sort through his clothes and get the wash started. I got to the second bag and as I was emptying it I felt a small lump. It took me a minute but I finally figured out that there had to be something in the small zippered pocket that was on the side of the suitcase. I pulled out a small bunch of fabric and a crumpled up piece of paper. I felt all of the air leave my lungs as I realized what they were. They were underware. A pair of women's thongs to be more exact. I tried not to panic as I dropped them and smoothed out the accompanying paper. The words that I read just confirmed what was already going through my mind.



I had a fantastic night last night. I thought I'd leave you a memento. You should call me when you come back to Denver again. My number is 947-234-2341 Vanessa



I dropped the note next to the underware on the table. This had to be some sick ass joke that the guys were playing. There was no way that he would cheat on me, not now. I was trying to convince myself that this was the case when all of the strange things that had happened the first night they were gone. I realized that the girl that I heard in the backround had to have been her. That meant Jonathan had lied to me. I started to shake as the reality of the situation really started to hit me. My whole body began to shake and I started to cry, slowly at first but it didn't take long for me to get to the kind of crying that makes you blind and sick. I couldn't function so I curled up on the couch and that's where I stayed until he got home. I was still sniffling when he came through the door but I had managed to get myself pretty much under control, or so I thought. He came in and the smile on his face faltered as he took in my apperance.



" Oh my god. What's wrong. Is it the baby?" he asked as he hurried over to the couch. As I looked at him I couldn't even form words. I had never been angrier at someone in my entire existence. He sat close to me and I couldn't help but move away. The thought of him touching me made me physically ill. He looked at me with hurt eyes and that spurned me into action.



" Was she worth it Patrick?" I said barley above a whisper



I pointed down to the table and I knew that I had been right. He didn't even try to deny it.



" I don't even remember what happened. We went to the bar and there was a girl and we started talking, and the next thing I remember is waking up the next day and both of us were naked."



I tried to will back the tears but my eyes might as well have been leaky faucets. I couldn't seem to control the fact that they wanted to leak.



" Why Patrick. Why would you even be talking to a girl in the first damn place?"



" I don't know. So much has changed since you've gotten pregnant. We don't have sex anymore and when we talk it's either about the baby or you're freaking out because I looked at you the wrong way or something equally stupid. I didn't mean for this to happen though. All I wanted was someone to talk to. I swear." he said in a pleading voice





" So this is all my fault? Are you fucking kidding me right now?" I did the first thing that came to me and that was to slap him in the face as hard as I could



His hand came up to his face and he looked at me like I had sprouted eight heads in a few seconds. I was so angry that I could feel the blood pounding in my ears. I had to leave right away before I did something that I would regret. He stared at me with unblinking eyes as I went upstairs and grabbed the first bag I found. I had no idea where I was going so I only put a change of clothes and a few of my essentials. I came back down the stairs and sat the bag down on the floor. Patrick had at some point moved to the counch and was looking at the underware. He looked up at me with tears in his eyes.



" It wasn't worth it. There will never be anybody on this earth that will replace you. I know you won't believe me but it's the truth."

I didn't respond. I couldn't even look at him right now. I didn't know where I was going to go but I knew that I wanted it to be anywhere but here. The farther the better as far as I was concerned. That was when the pain hit. It was in my lower abdomen and it was so sharp that it knocked the breath out of me. I clutched at the spot and let out a moan of pain. He jumped off of the couch and grabbed my arm to keep me from falling.

" What's wrong?" he asked as he led me to the couch, the utter panic clearly evident in his voice

" Hospital." was the only coherent word that I could manage to form. I curled into a ball and I only distantly was aware of Patrick making a phone call to 911. I said a silent prayer that the baby would be okay. It was all I had left.

1 comment:

  1. grrrrrrrr I'm so pissed off at him!!! And I can't believe he blamed it on her!


    I hope the baby's ok..

    ReplyDelete